HU install to E46 Convertible

Welcome to share your installation experience and ideas on those car radio dvd gps stereo device

Moderators: Jammy, admin

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
barfly

HU install to E46 Convertible

Postby barfly » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:46 am

This is my first post on this forum so please be gentle with your comments.
I purchased a Pumpkin HU with dashcam, rear camera, OBD2 and DVB radio.

This is the unit:
Pumpkin OCTA Core 2GB 32GB Android Radio Stereo for BMW E46 Support Harmon Kardon 1024*600 Single Din Car DVD Player Support GPS/Mirror Link/DAB+/Bluetooth/SWC/3G WIFI/Subwoofer/AV Output/Cam-In/OBD
by Pumpkin

Processor type UltraOcta-T8

Android version 6.0.1

MCU version 5.3.19-11-00-453101-170502- Universal

System version V9.1.1_20170904.191626_KED3-5

DVD version 2.13.15-860mc-160106

The install did not go at all smoothly.
Before doing anything, disconnect the earth wire from the battery and insulate it. I just used an old towel draped over the battery.
REMOVE_NEG_LEAD_AND_ISOLATE.jpg
REMOVE_NEG_LEAD_AND_ISOLATE.jpg (104.6 KiB) Viewed 2794 times

Remove the trim, start at the passenger’s side and gently levering up from the bottom with a flat tool gently work the trim away and pull. It is secured by 3 or 4 pins about 1 inch long. Then do the same for the trim on the driver’s side.
trim_removed.jpg
trim_removed.jpg (167.16 KiB) Viewed 2794 times

Remove the screws that hold in the radio head unit and disconnect the cables, put it to one side. Undo the screws now revealed for the air vent.
Now you have access to the bottom of the centre air vent, this is the hard part. Have a stiff whisky, or whatever your tipple is. Then...you need to firmly grip the bottom of the air vent, and pull very hard, it will make some horrible noises as though plastic is breaking, but keep going and it will tip up from the bottom and come out.
srews_to_remove1.jpg
srews_to_remove1.jpg (143.65 KiB) Viewed 2794 times

Relocate the climate control panel to the bottom of the escutcheon, this is described many times on the bimmer forum, it is easy.
srews_to_remove3.jpg
srews_to_remove3.jpg (222.07 KiB) Viewed 2794 times

Remove the boot from the automatic shift, or gear lever if manual, just pull upwards to lift.
Undo the two screws revealed.
srews_to_remove4.jpg
srews_to_remove4.jpg (211.23 KiB) Viewed 2794 times

Lift the whole panel out the one that’s complete with the window controls and slide toward the rear.
Remove the 2 screws and the whole escutcheon will come out ready for the climate control relocation.

our dash should now look like this, you are ready to install the head unit.
vents_removed_with_difficulty_pull_hard_from_bottom.jpg
vents_removed_with_difficulty_pull_hard_from_bottom.jpg (217.75 KiB) Viewed 2794 times

Before doing anything else, remove the 2 screws shown by the red tape on top of the unit, these secure the DVD player optical sled during transit.
dvd_safety_screws_removal.jpg
dvd_safety_screws_removal.jpg (128.86 KiB) Viewed 2794 times

Ascertain whether you have the 17 or 40 pin connector you removed from the rear of the old head unit.
resized_radio_plug.jpg
resized_radio_plug.jpg (266.46 KiB) Viewed 2794 times

Connect the 2 white connectors to the rear of the new head unit, one is the multi-connector with about 10 RCA sockets, the other with the 2 USB flying leads. Connect the black power connector with the 17/40 pin and canbus unit to the rear power socket. Find the antenna adaptor in the kit and plug that into the head unit. Screw the 2 antennas in, GPS and Wi-Fi.
Before installing and testing the unit I made up an extra earth wire to connect the chassis of the car to the head unit.
With my particular installation Pumpkin instructed me to short the red and pink wires on the rear of the unit.
canbus_plug_temp_short.jpg
canbus_plug_temp_short.jpg (261.69 KiB) Viewed 2794 times
The reason for that is the unit cannot draw enough current from one of the wires and so after a couple of hours you suddenly find there is no sound on the unit. If this happens to you, Pumpkin are very helpful and will talk you through what needs to be done. I was very circumspect doing this, and made a temporary short first.

At this point because I was installing the rear-view camera, I decided to take a short-cut. As an experienced audio-video engineer, I know that screened cable is best, but for the sake of stuffing around for the best part of a day running a bit of audio cable through the length of the car, I decided to re-use wires already in place for the cd changer I will no longer be needing.
I removed the outer locating plug inserter thingy (the bit that slides down to make the power plug fit snugly to the old head unit). I then separated the cd changer plug.
CD_changer _plug_head_end.jpg
CD_changer _plug_head_end.jpg (103.17 KiB) Viewed 2794 times

There are 3 wires I picked the white/red and white/blue and spliced into them.
CD_changer_plug_loom.jpg
CD_changer_plug_loom.jpg (140.89 KiB) Viewed 2794 times

Then I removed the cd changer from the boot 5 x 8mm bolts and set it to one side.
I then connected a meter to the white/red and white/blue cables on the cd changer plug. The head unit end I simply shorted the two wires with a piece of wire as in the picture. With a nice beep from my meter I knew I had the correct wires, and used an old yellow plug video cable I spliced into the cd changer wires on both ends.
CD_changer_plug_spliced_audio_rca_female.jpg
CD_changer_plug_spliced_audio_rca_female.jpg (172.51 KiB) Viewed 2794 times
That saved me a lot of heartache. I will post my pictures of the boot wiring and how I fitted the camera at the end.
The other issues I had were that the supplied cable with the USB dashcam that Pumpkin supplied were about a metre too short to route the cables nicely so I had to use a (good quality) USB extension cable to make it fit. I fitted the dashcam to the rear mirror along with the included microphone.

Now offer the unit up to the car, dress the cables for the GPS and Wi-Fi first, ensure they are hidden under the dash but above any metal parts.
Connect the battery earth cable now.
Now is the moment of truth.
Plug in the power cable 17/40 pin. You should get the Pumpkin logo after a couple of seconds followed by the android boot screens. After about 20 seconds you should be in the main menu.

Radio image
testing_pumpkin_radio2.jpg
testing_pumpkin_radio2.jpg (147.44 KiB) Viewed 2794 times

Dashcam image
testing_pumpkin_dashcam3.jpg
testing_pumpkin_dashcam3.jpg (112.25 KiB) Viewed 2794 times

Satellite testing programme.
testing_pumpkin_gps_satellite.jpg
testing_pumpkin_gps_satellite.jpg (158.24 KiB) Viewed 2794 times

If eveything works, now is the time to properly dress the cables, use cable ties for neatness but first disconnect the battery again, just in case.

That’s it for the main install, next see the pictures for the reversing camera installation.
You are ready to tackle the boot lid part.
The Pumpkin number-plate rear camera I used doesn’t fit the BMW number plate location very well, I had to improvise a couple of large plates to act as washers as the screw locations are where there is a very large empty space. I then had to remove the rear light cluste 4 screws to insert the camera cables. I also had to cut a small “v” shape out of the plastic to accommodate the cable which I poked through the light cluster to inside the boot lid.
back-up_cam2.jpg
back-up_cam2.jpg (196.13 KiB) Viewed 2794 times

boot_wiring1.jpg
boot_wiring1.jpg (130.67 KiB) Viewed 2794 times
boot_wiring5.jpg
boot_wiring5.jpg (130.07 KiB) Viewed 2794 times

It was quite difficult to run the cables through the small concertina rubber grommet, but with a piece of stiff gardenwire I was able to get them through to the boot.
boot_wiring7.jpg
boot_wiring7.jpg (214.38 KiB) Viewed 2794 times

It doesn’t look like an aftermarket add-on, I’m pleased with how it has worked out.
car_rear1.jpg
car_rear1.jpg (323.49 KiB) Viewed 2794 times
car_rear2.jpg
car_rear2.jpg (369.31 KiB) Viewed 2794 times
Attachments
resized_radio_plug.jpg
resized_radio_plug.jpg (266.46 KiB) Viewed 2794 times
Last edited by barfly on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jammy

Re: HU install to E46 Convertible

Postby Jammy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:14 am

Hi,thank you for your sharing.But it seems that all of the picture we can't see.They seem broken.

Jammy

Postby Jammy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:07 am

Hi,
thank you very much .Now i can see the pictures.They are very helpful.
Regards

barfly

Postby barfly » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:59 am

On the install I didn't show the completed pictures.
After: [img]26Oct2017_Console_Completed_Install.jpg[/img]

Before:
06Nov2017_Console_Completed _Install.jpg
Completed install
06Nov2017_Console_Completed _Install.jpg (3.87 MiB) Viewed 2769 times

I think I made a reasonable hash of it.

Cheers, Tony
Attachments
26Oct2017_Console_Before_Install.jpg
Pristine dash before I installed the new unit
26Oct2017_Console_Before_Install.jpg (5.59 MiB) Viewed 2769 times
26/10/17 Ord # 204-8277432-4614742 Mod CN10-11202B-02A
Android 6.0 Octa-Core 2GBRam Nand Mem: 32GB Screen Res: 1024*600
MCU version 5.3.19-11-00-453101-170502- Universal Sys ver V9.1.1_20170904.191626_KED3-5
DVD version 2.13.15-860mc-160106

KhAN

Postby KhAN » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:48 pm

where did you place the gps and wifi antennas?

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Car Radio DVD GPS Stereo”