3G dongle

Mainly focus on other Accessories issue

Moderators: Jammy, admin

randelld

3G dongle

Postby randelld » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:09 pm

Hi, I have put a sim card into my mobile dongle and connected it to the USB cable on my android stereo. I cannot go online. When I check network settings there are only wifi and tethering options, no dongle options. Can you help me to get it to work please.

My Ebay user name is
User ID drandell-1970

The Seller is
starstore88

Thank you

Jammy

Re: 3G dongle

Postby Jammy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:53 am

Hi,
This unit can only support the 3G WCDMA network, please check if you use the WCDMA sim card.
There is not any options for the 3G dongle, because it will work when you use the right sim card and plug the 3G dongle to the rear USB cable.
Normally after you connect the 3G dongle, wait for a few minutes, then the top indicator on the screen will appear a full signal bar.
Regards

randelld

Postby randelld » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:45 pm

Hi Jimmy,
I managed to get it online today.
I have 2 USB cables coming from the back of the unit.
I have noticed that only one of them works, USB2
I need to unplug my USB stick and swap it for the dongle :-(
Should they both work simultaneously?? If so, maybe the cable is faulty???

What do you think?

Fixedfixer

Postby Fixedfixer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:28 pm

randelld

Postby randelld » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:47 pm

That's right, they both have little white labels on marked USB/3G
I called my phone company to make sure the sim was activated and ready, they confirmed it was.
I then tried it in one of the usb connectors and nothing. I then removed my pen drive which contains music files, and connected the dongle into that one. I got online with it, wasn't brilliant but I will try again in different location to see if it was down to poor signal.
I then put my pen drive into the other (empty) USB and it will not recognise it. So it definitely looks like the usb connector.
I will report back

randelld

Postby randelld » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:47 pm

I managed to get both working together. But problem with dongle still. it seems very poor at getting a signal
2016-12-05 16.14.17.jpg
2016-12-05 16.14.17.jpg (479.87 KiB) Viewed 4692 times

randelld

Postby randelld » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:49 pm

If I buy a dongle from my network service provider, will it work in this stereo?

Fixedfixer

Postby Fixedfixer » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:57 am

Thanks @randelld I have also found the dongle is better in one USB/3G than the other and we are both using the same connections. I use the dongle sold by Pumpkin to keep things simple. I have a data only 3G sim card from Giffgaff. My sim works in both laptop and mobile phone, however despite showing a full signal and the says 3G on the head unit I cannot use the internet or get traffic updates on the sat nav.

Jammy thinks it might be a bad dongle so has asked me to contact their service team who we hope will send a replacement. You might be in the same position in that you see a signal but for some reason the head unit can't use it. Hope this helps. Fixedfixer.

randelld

Postby randelld » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:08 pm

FixedFixer,
Strangely, I got into my van this morning. I first plugged in my pendrive and the music started playing as expected.
I then plugged the dongle into the other USB connector, drove for about 5 minutes, I then noticed that it had the full signal mobile data icon so pulled over and like magic everything was working perfectly.
I went to Play store as a test and downloaded some apps, then for the rest of the day I have been using Google maps without hiccup.

Have you tried testing the dongle when you're in a built up area where mobile signal is likely to be strong? Top of a car park?

Fixedfixer

Postby Fixedfixer » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:03 am

@Randelld That's interesting, I get a full signal and the letters and numbers '3G' so sure it's got a signal. When I click on the sat nav for traffic updates it says no internet. I go to play store or browser and it also says no internet connection. weird. Jammy (admin) put be back in contact with their UK distributor to get a replacement dongle. Will see how that goes and feedback.

Have you positioned the dongle on the dash so it gets a good 'view' or just tucked it in glove box? What do the little blue signal lights do when data is being up or downloaded? My blue lights flash at a regular pace. I'd expect them to rapidly flash when data activity was taking place.

Cheers for sharing your experience.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Accessories”