3G modem not getting internet service

Frequently asked questions and answers

Moderators: Jammy, admin

psearles

Re: 3G modem not getting internet service

Postby psearles » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:30 pm

So, You are saying that even though the SIM card works fine in a Android Phone as a Data SIM and is discovered by the head unit as a 3G WCDMA modem and shows strong signal strength,that the problem is with the SIM? ... Are you saying the apn info on the SIM is different if plugged into the Pumpkin android device as modem, or that the pumpkin is looking for something special from the SIM ? I need to know so I can communicate the issue to my local operator correctly to get the SIM fixed. ..... Thanks

Jammy

Postby Jammy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:49 am

Hi,
Normally,if your SIM card format is 3G WCDMA, and the unit can display the 3g signal,the unit have should connect to internet.We still find the effective solution to solve the card compatibility problem.
Very sorry for this problem,you can contact the customer service where you bought the unit to send you an new 3g dongle.
Regards

psearles

Postby psearles » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:36 pm

Sorry, But you say "Normally,if your SIM card format is 3G WCDMA, and the unit can display the 3g signal,the unit have should connect to internet." Which is my case BUT it does not work!

You say "We still find the effective solution to solve the card compatibility problem", What card compatibility problem? If I am getting 3G signal from the sim and dongle what exactly is missing ... If it is something on the SIM what do I tell the carrier. the SIM WORKS in an Android phone as a data connection, the head unit is an android device, Why would the SIM work in a android phone and not a android head device that the Carrier can do something about????

You say "Very sorry for this problem,you can contact the customer service where you bought the unit to send you an new 3g dongle." Given your prior comment how will a new 3G dongle help ?????

Sorry, I am very frustrated ...

JoergH

Postby JoergH » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:52 am

So i get a similar manner with my 3G Dongle!
Please look !
If you must set special apn or roaming settings to connect to the internet, you can't do that with the pumpkin car device, because there is no app or setting to manage this!
There is still no solution about this!
Very disappointing!
RQ0268E

psearles

Postby psearles » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:29 am

So, I checked with my Carrier who provided the SIM and they state that the SIM they have provided me will work with my Dongle and Android. ... Therefore this seems to be a product problem, likely something to do with how the Android base has been modified from generally available versions on phones.. Can Pumpkin please look into this and determine why this is not working. Then get a fix out ... It is a real shame since IF THIS WORKED the pumpkin unit would rock.

Jammy

Postby Jammy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:03 am

Sajito

Postby Sajito » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:02 am

donk

Postby donk » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:22 pm

Has anyone received any further information or resolution?

I did not read all this before I went out and purchased a sim and added another line to my mobile account. I plugged my sim in, the unit sees it, lets me identify and choose the carrier. But none of the applications have connectivity (Google Maps, Pandora).

Not overly unexpected, but would like to have this functionality working on the unit.

rawanne

Postby rawanne » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:52 am

I think you should contact your for that. the customer service may help.

DarkWings

Postby DarkWings » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:47 pm

Hi,

I bought recently a pumpkin head unit and a 3g dongle on Amazon.

I found a way to change the APN.
By default, the Pumpkin head unit doesn't offer any settings to change the APN.
Or at least, you cannot find it by just navigating in the settings menu.
The trick is to do a search in the settings menu.
If you search for "mobile", then the mobile network settings will be among the results.
One of the result will allow you as well to control the data consumption.

After setting the Apn, it worked great and it was working on both USB connectors.
But after several cycle of powering on/off of the head unit (or after several trips), the signal was lost (no bar) or the 3g dongle was not even detected :?

My guess is that the 3g dongle driver is not that great and it needs definitely an update.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “General Configuration”