px5(800x480) with intermittent wifi reconnection problems

Frequently asked questions and answers

Moderators: Jammy, admin

jhulstedt

px5(800x480) with intermittent wifi reconnection problems

Postby jhulstedt » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:54 pm

I have had this unit for about 3 weeks
It has an intermittent problem with the WiFi reconnecting after the fast starts. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Also sometimes when you have turned the wifi off and restart it it refuses to turn on. However I have found that using the reset and forcing a reboot the unit it always connects the first time during the boot. However any time it starts after that with a fast start it is hit and miss whether it will reconnect. Attached are screenshots of the exact model build etc. from the the unit as it is and as I received it.
Also when I was looking for a work around, if I turn the power off let it save the setup and then restart the car, sometimes it will reconnect. It seems that works best when I wait a minute or two before I restart. Sometimes I have to turn the wifi off turn the power off let it save and then turn the power back on and restart the wifi. It is very peculiar but it appears to me the wifi is not being started after a fast start correctly. Your help is greatly appreciated. Other that that I am very happy with the unit. If I can't find a solution with you this week for this I will have to return the unit. It is just to annoying.
Attachments
Screenshot_20180905-133405.png
Screenshot_20180905-133405.png (32.71 KiB) Viewed 3502 times
Screenshot_20180905-133425.png
Screenshot_20180905-133425.png (35.48 KiB) Viewed 3502 times
Screenshot_20180905-133431.png
Screenshot_20180905-133431.png (29.57 KiB) Viewed 3502 times

Jammy

Re: px5(800x480) with intermittent wifi reconnection problems

Postby Jammy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:25 am

Hi,
sorry for bringing you this trouble.
Here is the latest firmware which will be help for this issue,you can have a try .
https://mega.nz/#!6XhWXQoR!W0GwWH4tpNqM ... jc2zbP8aQc
Please directly download the files to the root content of one sd card or USB stick ,next insert the card into the GPS slot if you choose to use this way, then enter settings - system - system update.
2.If the firmware doesn't help , could you mind catch the android log from the unit according to this article .https://www.autopumpkin.com/forum/viewt ... 202#p24202
then copy the files to me .
Regards

jhulstedt

Postby jhulstedt » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:48 pm

Hi Jammy!
I flashed the unit with the file "update.zip". Had a little trouble flashing the unit at first. I thought the files where supposed to be unzipped and placed in the root of the sd because you said files (plural) to the root. I finally figured out to just place the update.zip file (the download) in the root and the system asked me right away after inserting the sd, Do you want to flash the unit with that file. Didn't even have to goto settings, system, systems update!

Current config is attached as screenshots.

It is not doing what it was doing before. It always seems to show that it is connected. At first though I did not have an internet connection but it was connected to the hotspot. I turned the WiFi off and then on several times and it reconnected each time. But still no internet connection. However I think that was the fault of my phones hotspot was not working properly. So I rebooted the phone and turned on the hotspot and it connected right away and I had an internet connection. It was working. It is definitely behaving differently and may be fixed. There was one time even though I tried to turn on the WiFi it still would not turn on. So I hit the reset and rebooted it.
After I got the internet connection working I started the car and turned of the car multiple times waiting different amounts of time, and also just turned wifi off and on multiple times and it reconnected each time. It appears that it is taking a few seconds longer to start up since it looks like it is triggering the wifi reconnect process now and waiting for it to complete. That's fine with me it is perhaps just a few seconds longer before the wifi is on in my estimation after a fast start. But for me this is quite adequate!
Since the original problem was intermittent, let me use it and test it a few days and I will come back and report on the status. But I think it is going to be positive at this point. When it works and you get this unit all configured it is absolutely fabulous!

Thanks!
Attachments
Screenshot_20180906-123640.png
Screenshot_20180906-123640.png (33.08 KiB) Viewed 3452 times
Screenshot_20180906-123658.png
Screenshot_20180906-123658.png (35.69 KiB) Viewed 3452 times

stapo101

Postby stapo101 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:13 pm

Hi. I have exactly the same issue. Will this firmware update work on my device please? See attached.
Attachments
IMG_20180909_144950.jpg
IMG_20180909_144950.jpg (3.17 MiB) Viewed 3452 times
IMG_20180909_144939.jpg
IMG_20180909_144939.jpg (3.29 MiB) Viewed 3452 times

jhulstedt

Postby jhulstedt » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:46 pm

Well it's been a couple days since I updated the firmware see the screenshots attached.

The unit is still behaving the same way. It seems that if I turn it off and turn right back on it will reconnect. But if I leave it for a extended amount of time and start it does not reconnect. It still always connects after a reboot or reset and seems to work just fine.

My hunch is the restart process for the fast boot is not right and also I notice that the unit does not disconnect from the wifi connection when it powers down. My wifi hotspot still shows a connection for a long time afterwards even though the unit has powered down. Eventually because of inactivity I suppose its connection get terminated. Perhaps the unit should disconnect the wifi connection at power down and then reinitialize the connection after a fast boot.

In about 5 days on 9/15 I need to make a decision about returning this unit. The clock is ticking. So as a result I tried to include the logcat file.

But I cannot attach the txt file 2018-09-09-18-01-45_android that was made with the logcat process using this post it says "Invalid file extension: 2018-09-09-18-01-45_android.txt". How do I get the file to you?
Attachments
Screenshot_20180906-123640.png
Screenshot_20180906-123640.png (33.08 KiB) Viewed 3451 times
Screenshot_20180906-123658.png
Screenshot_20180906-123658.png (35.69 KiB) Viewed 3451 times

Jammy

Postby Jammy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:07 am

Hi jhulstedt ,
thanks for your detailed feedback.
1.you said " But if I leave it for a extended amount of time and start it does not reconnect.", could you tell me more details about this behave ?
Because in fact, if you use iPhone and your iPhone connect to some wifi ,then it will auto turn off the wifi hot spot but it displays "on " on the hot spot switch. So when you come back to your car ,you need to enter hot spot page and turn off the switch and turn it on again . Then the car stereo will find the hot spot and connect it again automatically.
2.about the txt files, you can download it to some cloud zone/netdisc and then give a link to download it . Or you can write a post to the pumpkin customer service via support@autopumpkin.com and then attach the txt files and the forum link .
wait for your reply.
Regards

Jammy

Postby Jammy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:10 am

Hi tapo101.
yes, the firmware fits your unit. please notice , you needn't to unzip that zip files.
More query, i hope you can show me an short video so that i can understand your query easily. Your order number will be needed for our pumpkin customer service to contact you if needed.
Regards

jhulstedt

Postby jhulstedt » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:01 pm

Hi Jammy!

Regarding item#1, I am not using a Iphone I am using a a Huawei Honor 6, Model BLN-L24. I am pretty confident the issue is not the hotspot. When it will not reconnect and without touching the hotspot or phone if I hit the reset on the unit and cause the unit to reboot it always connects. My phone keeps that hotspot up and working even when its lost the last connected device. I tested it with my laptop and it is available and connects.
I am pretty convinced there is something funky about the units restart process. I think it does not always initiate a connection to the hotspot. The status may have changed since it was shutdown. Perhaps the unit should disconnect any wifi connection upon shut down or perhaps restart so that it can update its own internal status. Then when it tries to reconnect it will have the correct status. I think the unit does not reconnect after a faststart based on it restored former status which has now changed.
Also I have seen the unit when it is not connected and wouldn't reconnect. When I goto turn on the wifi and it will not turn on. I throw the switch to turn it on and it immediately turns it off. Throw it again and it turns it off. The only recourse at this point is to reset it.
Also I have seen a similar situation that when I turn the wifi on it looks like it is turned on and I back out and return to settings and then to wifi and it shows that it is off.
Also I have seen that you can turn on the wifi and then go in to look at the available networks and it shows that none are available. It looks like it is scanning but it really is not.
That is why I am thinking the internal status does not match what the controls are showing and it needs to initiate a full reconnection after the fast boot the same as the reboot does.

Regarding item #2, I sent an email to support@autopumpkin.com and attached the logcat file and a link to this forum topic.

stapo101

Postby stapo101 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:18 pm

My order is 100003298.

I updated the firmware yesterday. The problem remains. Exactly described by the OP. Sometimes it will reconnect, most of the time it wont. The status will say that WiFi is on but it wont connect to anything, or show any available APs. The only solution is to hold the power button down until the unit starts to perform a full reboot rather than a fast boot. FYI I am not tethering to a phone when this happens but to my home network when parked on the drive.

Please find a solution for this. Without a fix and having to perform a full reboot this feels much more like a PC in the car rather than a smart stereo. I don't want to be fiddling with reboots for the first few minutes of my journey when a 1-2 second boot time was advertised.

Jammy

Postby Jammy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:37 am

Hi stapo101,
also, please wait for a few days, our engineers are trying to solve this issue.Hope your kind understandings.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “General Configuration”